Disclaimer

Warning - Some posts may cause choking, spitting of beverage and /or a severe giggle fit. This advice brought to you by regular reader Louisa.

Wednesday 3 November 2010

*is struggling*





Yes, it's only day three of NaNoWriMo and already I am behind. I'm around 2k behind at the moment, but I really wanted to be ahead at this point, so my personal goal for today is ever further away.


It's so typical. I took two weeks off from work specifically to get ahead, yet I am already struggling to stay on top of things. Of course, I spent all of Monday evening at the A&E with my husband, who managed to get himself knocked off his motorbike earlier that day. Several x-rays confirmed bruised ribs and shoulder, and a broken thumb, so he is fine all in all, but the worry and the annoyingly long wait to be seen by the doctors really scuppered up my first day of NaNo.

Still, I thought I would catch up yesterday and today. No problem. I hadn't bargained on my daughter getting a stomach bug though. *rolls eyes* Honestly, I think I've spent the majority of the last two days trying to explain to my daughter why she wasn't allowed to have anything to eat.

Anywho, quite apart for the lack of time at the computer, I'm just really struggling to get my first few thousand words down. I know where I want to go, and I know what I need to cover in the first few chapters, but somehow everything I type doesn't sound right. I've made the mistake of deleting paragraphs at a time because I'm not happy with them, which is absolutely the wrong thing to do with a WriMo. Last year I just kept typing, even though I knew there were hundreds of mistakes, and more than a few sections that were definitely shaky. I need to get the same attitude going for this year, because if I keep deleting large sections of text, I'm going to end up with nothing.

So, I have given myself a little pep talk. *nods* No more deleting!! No more wasting time correcting spelling and typing errors!! (Yes, that's how much I am dithering - I am checking for typos. So not like me at all). And no more worrying about whether a sentence could be phrased better!! Just. Keep. Typing.

See you Friday, when hopefully I will have a blog titled *is storming ahead*.

*crosses fingers*

5 comments:

  1. Leave it to men and children to muck up a plan, but then what would you do without them. Now pass on the rule that they are not allowed to get sick or injured for the next month. Your fans are waiting to read your brilliant work of art,[no pressure]:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the family obstacles! Those really can't be helped, but they still stink. As to the writing... hadn't you heard each time you delete a sentence, a poor little WriMo angel loses its wings and goes plummeting to its doom? Tara, you don't want THAT on your conscience!
    (and last year, only one month after NaNoWriMo, your story looked pretty darned good--not perfect--that is a longer process--but for only one month post-WriMo... you are underestimating your quality of writing my friend.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I'm careful when writing as well. I'm not doing NaNo just to toss out a bunch of words - I'm trying to complete my second book. So I'd rather write something meaningful and miss the mark than just toss words on the screen and hit 50,000.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weesa - lordy, way to pile the pressure! *snort* Seriously though, I HAVE told the hubby and kids that I'd like to write a flipping novel at some point this month, so any delay in accidents and/or illness would be appreciated (perferably indefinately, now that I think about it).

    Jules - Thank you! Always nice to get encouragement, but even more so when it comes from somewhere unexpected. Nice to 'meet' you. :)

    Tami - Now you've done it - I've doomed sweet little angels? *sniff* And as for last year's effort, well... you know me, I'm always critical with my own stuff. I think it's something we all do. *shrugs*

    Alex - I think the fact that my previous completed NaNo novel needs SO MUCH editing is a factor for this year's sudden urge to have things a heck of a lot neater. Having one novel to polish is bad enough, having two is positively scary. *shudders* Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete